Thursday, September 7, 2017

UNCLE TOM'S CABIN REDUX

UNCLE TOM'S CABIN REDUX As I read the rubrics, proofs, evidence, examples, eyewitness accounts, personal testimonials, that are so effusively set forth in: A KEY TO UNCLE TOM'S CABIN; FACTS AND DOCUMENTS UPON WHICH THE STORY IS FOUNDED, TOGETHER WITH CORROBORATIVE STATEMENTS VERIFYING THE TRUTH OF THE WORK, by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1853), I have resolved to re-read the Civil War-era "novel," itself! Harriet Beecher Stowe's amazing volume of evidence has totally transformed her "novel" from being merely fiction--even historical fiction--into a redemptive , representative, restatement of our coming up : a genre of black, white, Christian, African and American, hagiographic history, literature and Deliverance Testament! Her book has no peer known to me except: odyssey, Iliad , Bible, epic, tribute! I have "Uncle Tom's Cabin" already hereabouts; but rather than my searching needlessly, I have simply ordered it online. In the meantime I will continue my regular reading of the queue at my bedside or home.