Friday, September 29, 2017

REMEMBERING

REMEMBERING OLD FRIENDS Several years ago, I learned of the deaths of three of my friends from Howard University and Cook Hall: Buddy Smallwood , Sly, & Maatum . We were tight, socializing together as we brothers were wont to do back in the day, around the way. I had not seen them since the 1970s. Imagine my surprise, when, in the early 2000s in a seminar at the National Bar Association annual convention, there was a lawyer from Rahway , New Jersey, who knew me; who informed me that they were dead. We had spent one night at Buddy's parents' home there on one occasion. His mother had barbecued a fish for us guys to eat, I shall never forget. It was very tasty, delicious, despite nutritional novelty, to one more accustomed to ribs , tips, or other cuts of pork. Reading tonight about "Maat" the ancient Egyptians' ethical credo of justice, balance , beauty, fairness, and order, my mind drifted back to my friend Maatum from Philadelphia. He was a ladies' man, suave, quiet, erect. My mind flashed to him on sight of that word, thence to Buddy & Sly. Funny how that happens. Peace ✌🏿