Monday, July 10, 2017

SUMMER ENRICHMENT PLANNING FOR CHILDREN

I was a single parent in the summer of 1984, and the custodial parent of a five-year old boy. I designed a summer program for him that may work for others, similarly situated. First, I placed him in a black YMCA summer camp with swimming classes, rules, creditable leaders. That program lasted from 7:30 until 3:30. After that, I had hired a tutor for him, who would pick him up from the YMCA, and walk him across the street to a church, in whose basement, she would teach him reading, writing, arithmetic until 5:30, where I would pick him up! It worked out well for everyone! Summer programs that train and instruct, rather than just "romp and play at random"--types are vital, essential to the proper upbringing of children of any race, any gender!