Wednesday, July 26, 2017

I REALLY, REALLY DO!

I REALLY, REALLY DO! Auntie ("ainty" to me) was the one person who introduced me to true Louisiana gumbo, way back in the 1980s in New Orleans, when I was "courting" her niece, now my wife. Lyla had carried me over to Aintie's house for dinner. When the gumbo came out, with crab-legs jutting up, I tore into it like nobody's business! First one bowl. Then another bowl. When I finished. I pushed back from the table, preparing to stand. That's when Ainty looked at me : "Where are you going? Dinner ain't over., yet. That Louisiana gumbo was just 'fore dinner hors d'oevre!" "Oh, Lord!" I said a bit too loud . "In Missouri, the gumbo is the meal." "But. I fixed dinner specially for you, Larry. Don't you want to at least try it," she asked, while , pulling a delicious-looking baked fish, immured in ruby- red gravy from out her very capable oven. "My loose goose is now surely cooked," I said to myself, knowing that if I ate that it would all be over! "It" being my bachelorhood days! Anyway, I sat back down and sighed. The fish was even better than that outstanding gumbo ! As I was nearing the end of the "cubionne" fish, and its millitong (green squash like vegetable) accompaniment, Ainty then whipped out the her "piece de resistance,"!her amazing sweet potato bread , with whipped cream! Light as a feather and too tasty! I wobbled from the table to watch the television. When I was softly awakened up by a gentle shake on the shoulder, I was standing in front of a preacher in my own home in the presence of many witnesses, family, friends, in KC saying "I do!"