Monday, July 10, 2017

FORTY YEARS A MISSOURI LAWYER

FORTY YEARS A MISSOURI LAWYER While we were attending the Jackson County Bar Association Picnic on Saturday, July 8, 2017, my conversation with a former legal colleague reminded me that I have been a lawyer for 40 years, having been licensed by the State of Missouri in 1977. I was shocked! As I no longer actively practice law, since my stroke in 2010, my focus is daily, rather than annual, as in "Give me this day my daily bread, and forgive me my trespasses," Oh Lord! My work is now spiritual not strictly legal; my sources include the Bible, aphorisms, wisdom books, proverbs, science, rather than only statutes, law books, judicial case decisions, advance sheets, or other legal authorities. "Blogging" has now replaced legal pleading, an appeals court judge who attended the picnic kindly reminded me, while assuring me that my blogging work online, may someday have an impact on the future. No one can know. Her comment comforted me. When I quipped that there was no market for wisdom, regrettably, she replied being wise is its own reward. That reminded me of an old saying, that "good meat makes its own gravy." It is so nice to look back and move forward; to live , to love, to laugh!