Monday, March 13, 2017

REMINISCENCES

"Disgraceful as it is to those whom it concerns, it is nevertheless true that colored persons sometimes turned traitors to their own race, and, Judas-like, betrayed their brethren for a little money. A man of this character who had been sent as a spy from Kentucky applied to me for protection , and seeming to be much alarmed unless he should be captured. As other attempts of similar character had often been made, I was on the lookout, and was wary and guarded in what I said . I took the man to the house of one of my colored friends, whom I had previously informed of my suspicions, and told him to be on his guard till it should be discovered whether the man was a fugitive or a spy. It was soon ascertained that he was the latter , and the colored people among whom he had been staying, arose in their indignation , took him out of the city, and administered punishment in the shape of a severe whipping. After this he returned to Kentucky and was never known to play such a part again." P.236-237, "Cincinnati Stories Continued," REMINISCENCES Of LEVI COFFIN (2006)