Tuesday, December 9, 2014

JUST SAY 'HELLO'

JUST SAY "HELLO" "You had me at 'hello', you big oaf," is a memorable line from a popular movie, "Jerry McGuire." Its other famous line: "Show me the money." That famous "hello"-- line reminds me of an experience that I had at, age 18, while working in St. Louis, one summer; it may resonate with you. I happened to be looking out the window of our tall building, when I beheld the most beautiful woman that I had ever seen in my life, entering a women's boutique across the street. My heart palpitated, and the next thing I knew, was that I was on the elevator heading down to meet her! Hurrying across the street, lest I should miss her, I hesitated before entering. After all, what the heck would I look like browsing, in a woman's store, panting for breath? Settling down somewhat, I entered the store, and saw her. She looked up at me and resumed her inspections. We were the only 'shoppers' in that tiny shop. But, my courage failed me. I did not know what to say or how to say it. So, after sauntering around, aimlessly for a while, I watched her leave without giving me another look. "Hello" would have beat nothing, you big idiot, I scolded myself. Yet and still, I was later mollified by the fact that even the great Smokey Robinson once, himself, sang "The words from my heart get caught up in my throat." Been there. Done that! "hello!"