Wednesday, December 3, 2014

FAT MAN AND HIS FRIED EGG SANDWICH

'Fat Man' and His Fried Eggs Sandwich Life lessons are often attended by pain. That way, they stick with you. One summer, while in grade school, our boy scout troop went on a weekend camping trip . I was so excited! Although, my parents consented to my going, there was one small problem: neither of us had ever been on one before! So preparation was guesswork and inadequate, it turns out. Among the items packed was a dozen eggs, still in the cardboard carton; a blanket, but no tarp to spread on the ground; and a can of pork and beans without a can opener. There were others, too. But, this will do. Spirits were high as we rode the bus to the jamboree. I noticed that my fellow scouts had packed all kinds of stuff that I did not have. Still, I was happy. Upon arrival, I noticed that other troops were also present, and in various stages of setting up their camps. That enhanced the adventure. Night fell. My stomach growled. Dinner time. I opened my backpack, My eggs had crushed in the carton. I was so embarrassed and disgusted. "Where's the trash can," I asked, rising and looking around. "You gon' throw away them eggs?" asked 'Fat Man' Cannon, an older scout. "Yeah," I replied, "they're cracked." I replied. "Can I have'm?" he asked reaching for them. "Here," I said . "Take them." And that he gladly did. Curious as to why he wanted some already cracked eggs, I temporarily forgot my hunger, and watched him. He borrowed a used frying pan, with bacon grease still in it, from somebody else. Then two pieces of bread from a third person. 'Fat Man' then proceeded to fry up the most beautiful egg sandwich that I had ever seen, sprinkled his own salt and pepper over it, and ate it scrumptiously in front of me. Did I ever feel dumb! and hungry. Life-Lesson in creative resourcefulness learned! Thank you, 'Fat Man!' That night, I slept terribly, as my single blanket did not keep out the water which rises up from the earth, nor the dew which falls from the sky, from wetting it. So, I talked about my crushed eggs and Fat Man's cleverness, as I warmed myself around the fire, with friends; each sharing his own stories, set-backs, and discoveries, with laughter, till sunrise. These others, as inadequately prepared as me, had noticed the crushed-eggs drama play out, between me and 'Fat Man', and its successful sequel for him. Then and there, in the spirit of self-help, we all resolved to share what we had with each other. We did, and we made it through, much wiser! Thanks again 'Fat Man' , my brother, wherever you may be!