Thursday, March 8, 2018

"GUERRILLA HISTORY"

Today, March 8, 2018, I finished reading the magisterial grassroots history of the 1960's civil rights movement that was written by former SNCC Field Secretary and Howard University student, Charles E. Cobb, Jr's, THIS NONVIOLENT STUFF'LL GET YOU KILLED : HOW GUNS MADE THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT POSSIBLE (2016). Cobb's insights and perspectives have informed dark spots in my own understanding of my era, the one in which I reached maturity as a man, leader, writer, and scholar. His "guerrilla history" shines a very righteous and steady light upon the bedrock of movement people in rural Mississippi, principally, and elsewhere in the South, whose love, wisdom, understanding had repeatedly bubbled up from the depths of learned survivorship skills to work with, protect, shelter, feed, the student foot-soldiers and then to win! I commend it highly!