Thursday, March 15, 2018

BECKWOURTH

James P. Beckwourth, famed black mountain man, explorer, Crow Indian Chief, trader, scout and so much more, though he was a man of African descent, on his mother's side, was of European descent on his father's side. In his very long , detailed autobiography, THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF JAMES P. BECKWOURTH (as told to Thomas D. Bonner) (1856), he identifies as a white man in sympathy at least: "I was well aware that many of my friends knew of the life that I was leading, and I almost feared to think of the opinions they must form of my character. But , in justification, it must be urged that the Crows had never shed the blood of the white man during my stay in their camp, and I did not intend they ever should if I could raise my voice against it. They were constantly at war with tribes who coveted the scalps of the white man, but the Crows were uniformly faithful to their obligations to my race, and would rather serve than injure their white brethren without any consideration of profit." P.198