Thursday, November 9, 2017

COON

"Man, I want some good food, too. I ain't had no real good food in so long that I can't even remember what it tastes like. "'Whatever you want, it will be my treat, ' I said proudly. "'From what I hear, you might not be able to afford the kind of meal that I want,' he teased. 'I want steak, chicken, pork, maybe some good smoked coon.' "'Coon?' "Oh, don't pretend. You know you like grilled raccoon . Please don't sit there and tell me you ain't never had no good coon when I know you grew up in the country just like I did. There has been many a time when me and my cousin would be driving , and a coon would run cross the road and he'd say, "Stop the car, stop the car !" And I'd stop the car and he'd jump out and go running into the woods and come back minutes later with a raccoon he done caught. We would take it home, skin it, and fry or barbecue that meat. Maaan....what you talking about? That would be some good eatin'.' "'You've got to be joking. I grew up in the country, but I never chased any kind of wild animal into the woods to take home and eat.'" P.220-221, "I'll Fly Away," JUST MERCY by Bryan Stevenson (2015)