Monday, October 2, 2017

MAMA'S MIXING BOWL

Mama's Metal Mixing Bowl I now confess that I took, that I have, that I now quite frequently use, Mama's metal mixing bowl. Mama died in 2003. Daddy had already died in 1998. The house, our home, in Rock Hill, Missouri, where we had lived since 1963, where their 8 children had been raised, was intact, fully furnished, in 2007, when I was impelled to take from it the mixing bowl, and to bring it and a few pots back home with me to Kansas City, Missouri. Apparently, there is something mysterious, mythical, magical, about a maternal mixing bowl. I have recently read in WRITINGS FROM ANCIENT EGYPT (2016), translated and edited by Toby Wilkinson, that an ancient Egyptian woman of "modest means," named Naunakht, who lived in the 20th Dynasty, @ 1150 years B.C., when Ramses V was Pharaoh, who was also the mother of 8 children, had willed her mixing bowl to one of her favorite children, the one who had cared for her in her old age infirm. Like Naunakht of ancient Egypt, our mother had also enjoyed equal rights to those of our father, Elvis Mitchell Coleman. Those "unusual" equal rights, that were anciently enjoyed by black women in 1150 B.C. Egypt, were the order of the day for Mama in the 20th Century United States of America in Missouri. Yesterday, I had made the most delicious apple cobbler in Mama's mixing bowl. That confection is that which is prompting my confession about my postmortem confiscation of our mother's metal mixing bowl. Selah.