Sunday, October 15, 2017

BLIND ETHIOPIAN WOMAN

A BLIND ETHIOPIAN WOMAN When I was 11 years old, me and my year-younger sister, Schleria, caught a bus from Kirkwood to St. Louis, alone, to attend a church conference, when the adult who had accompanied us on the first day, did not show up on the next, nor on any other day that week! We had to get transfers on two occasions and ask questions, but we reached our destination safely, there and back home, about 15 miles distance as the crow flies; but much longer as the bus rolls. This memory came to mind, as I reflected on a blind woman in Ethiopia, who walked miles each day , every day, to the water well. People have far greater capacities than we typically appreciate , be they children or disabled or both. I gained greater self -confidence and personal pride from our own bus-riding adventure, which gave me courage to undertake the next, whatever it may have been. No doubt, the Ethiopian blind woman who walked daily to the well for water acquired much more! She acquired life and health itself and now my admiration and respect! What a mighty God we serve!