Tuesday, October 3, 2017

AFRICAN CULTURE, excerpt...

"I embark upon these arguments with the greatest reluctance and only because at various confrontations our self-alienating brothers and their African supporters appear impervious to any other type of discourse .... "'Paradoxically enough, it is an objection most strongly voiced by (black) Africans themselves. 'All this talk about an African culture, a black African culture,' complained the leader of the Nigerian delegation, 'I don't understand it. I mean, is there really such a thing? In Nigeria alone, we have....' And he proceeded to enumerate the several cultural varieties in his country, concluding, 'I think it is best to speak of a plurality of cultures. I certainly don't see how we can talk of a black African culture.' In this he found ready support from several delegates, including, and I single them out for reasons which will later become obvious, the leader of the Egyptian delegation and the eloquent debater at the head of the Guinean delegation." P.23, "The African World and the Ethnocultural Debate," (Wole Soyinka) in AFRICAN CULTURE by Molefi Kete Asante and Kariamu Welsh Asante (1985, 1990)