Sunday, April 9, 2017

EVERY: ONE, THING, WHERE

EVERYONE EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE As I read the deftly written "Foreword" by United States Supreme Court Justice, Stephen Breyer, to the late Philadelphian, former U. S. Transportation Secretary, William T. Coleman, Esq.'s autobiography, COUNSEL FOR THE SITUATION (2010), I can but muse upon its hopeful subtitle "Shaping the Law to Realize America's Promise." That "hope" as exemplified in the exalted life of attorney, William T. Coleman is moderated, indeed mediated, by my earlier reading, also today, in former SNCC Mississippi field secretary, Charles E. Cobb, Jr.'s, autobiography, THIS NONVIOLENT STUFF'LL GET YOU KILLED: HOW GUNS MADE THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT POSSIBLE (2014), whose gripping Prologue is titled, "I Come to Get My Gun." The common law alone, though essential, is woefully insufficient to satisfy America's "Promise" to its African Americans. Much more is required. All are required: Everyone, everything, everywhere . Such is my reading takeaway today.