Saturday, April 22, 2017

AFRICAN AMERICAN PASSOVER

While I was Pastor of Brooks Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Butler, Bates County, Missouri, we began celebrating the "African American Passover" to pay homage to the military defeat of slavery and of white supremacy on April 9, 1865. This illustration of Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendering to Union General Ulysses Grant is epic, more epic to my black people than that of any Continental Congress! Our church began our own celebration of this epochal surrender in the year 2000, and I have carried it on into other venues, in Kansas City, St. Joseph, Missouri, since then, as my itinerant ministry moved about in time and space. How deeply do I hope and pray that this ameliorative American holiday catches on and takes hold! https://newrepublic.com/article/121406/civil-war-150th-anniversary-confederacy-defeat-should-be-holiday