Sunday, May 10, 2015

GEOMETRY AND ME

GEOMETRY AND ME! My mind races ahead of my readings, filling in blanks, anticipating dialogue and outcomes before I get to them. I have read that certain humans can see before they can observe, feel before they can sense, hear what is yet inaudible, taste before they have bitten, smell even before olfaction. Whether the foregoing pre-sensorial sect includes me, is unclear. What is clear, is that when reading problems & proofs in geometry, in EUCLID'S ELEMENTS, specifically, I am often tripped up by my tendency to race ahead in front of the patiently rigorous demonstrations of its truths! Thus my brashness is not beneficial to geometric studies. Humility, lability, and epistemological docility work best! There must be a moral in there somewhere! That much I do know!