Monday, May 4, 2015

CUES

CUES Monday, May 04, 2015 By Rev. Dr. Larry Delano Coleman One dot is a point. Two points make a line. Yesterday, I made a beeline to Gilbert A.M.E. Church after receiving two, apparently independent, environmental cues from that church, whose Pastor, is my good friend, Rev. Brenda Smith. I obeyed the spirit, the urge, the notion, to do so. In so doing, I was blessed, even as I blessed others, spiritually, sermonically, though I had not been specifically prepared to preach, nor had I even expected to preach! Retrospectively, I wonder how often cues come to me, come to us, daily; that we either dismiss too readily out of hand, or simply refuse to obey, and override? Later we find that we either have to excuse ourselves or must recuse ourselves; or that we even abuse ourselves, for having ignored these multiple environmental cues. These cues are not merely external or “environmental.” They may also be internal or bodily, or some combination of the two. They may also be intuitive or spiritual. Neither are such cues solely, or necessarily, confined to an individual. They may also pertain to a family, a region, a country, race, or religion; or any other groupings. Musicians respond to cues, politicians respond to cues. Police and scientists of all kinds respond to cues and clues, as do hunters, spouses, and lovers. In brief, whoever deliberately ignores cues and clues, from whatever source, is silly.