Sunday, June 3, 2018

COLLEGE STUDENTS' FOOD STAMPS

COLLEGE STUDENTS' FOOD STAMPS Sophomore year in our Cook Hall dormitory, Howard University, my resourceful roommate was named Michael. He hailed from New York, Long Island, Riverhead. His calm resourcefulness was such that he seized upon waiting opportunities that my ignorant impatience would have never thought of doing. For example, standing in long lines of colored folk without knowing where they were heading, nor their object. In this way, Michael later told me, he was blessed to have acquired food stamps in Washington, D.C., in September 1970. I did not even know that college students were eligible for food stamps . We were surely poor enough ! At least me and Michael were poor enough ! But in my having never been before a food stamps' recipient , I had no clue that they were available to us. But when Michael began to bring back to our dorm room each day lean steaks, chicken, eggs, bacon and whipped out a hot plate, I became a convert, very quickly, delightfully! We ate well, extremely well. I do not know whatever became of my calm resourceful roommate, Michael, following my sophomore year, nor do I know if college students still qualify for food stamps . But we did, then, or he did then, and I was happy to co-feast!