Wednesday, June 27, 2018

BETWEEN TWO STATES OF BLESSEDNESS

Nothing dead can be revived nor rehabilitated. If it can be revived or rehabilitated, it was not truly "dead." This I know from my left side-left arm experience. After my ischemic stroke in July 2010, that ended my legal career, my left arm was flaccid, devoid of life, in the sense that I could not move it, nor flex my fingers. My arm had sensation. It was sensitive to pain and to temperatures. But it lacked mobility or movement. My left leg was less so. I could walk on it slowly. While my left arm has progressed beyond my "pass me my left arm please, Dear," days of yore, it can, still, only do a few, limited things. I have said that to say this: one's sensitivity to pain, pressure, temperatures, are indeed signs of life, but, without movement or without mobility, one's limbs are both alive and dead, at once. Thus, there appears to be another state of being, another phase, another modality, between life and death in persons, places and things. Especially is this so in the United States of America in which aspects of life and death are yet exhibited, experienced! From myself, now, I wheel around, to analogize, to try to extrapolate, more broadly, from myself, by applying my own ischemia to black people's African American history spiritual, epigenetic legacy. Therein, my and our mobility and movement, have been similarly limited, confined, constrained, frustrated by culture, environment, laws, taboos, lies, racism ignorance, superstition into a state of "disability," between life and death. Blacks exist between two states in American society, dead and alive. We are more denizens than citizens even as late as 2018. We are sensitive to pain, pressure and temperatures. But we have no mobility, nor movement, that typifies complete citizenship. We are unfairly bruised, broken, battered, by billionaire rulers and by their agents: legislators and governors; mayors, city councils; police, by all courts, by finance companies, banks, landlords, stores, credit cards, schools, and even by each other! Fortunately, we have the complete use of our minds, of our right arms even if our left arm/leg's movements still remain limited. The "strong right arm of God" can save us, having brought, sustained us, thus far on the way, As God's agents, actors, witnesses, we, too, must work joyfully, faithfully, in love, to revive, to rehabilitate, to rejuvenate ourselves more fully, indeed, completely, however encumbered, disabled, we may be! We must "Take up your our beds ! And Walk!" Away from the pool of Bethesda. Still, through it all, I praise God! We praise God for life! We praise God for life! "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine! Let is shine, let it shine. Let it shine!" Until my, until our, change comes; and then I, we, shall see and be the light! Genesis shed light on our being "between two states of blessedness" by the use of it Biblical allegory. Genesis contains two separate accounts of mankind's beginnings in chapters 1 and 2. In chapter 1, God creates male and female in "our likeness and image." In chapter 2, Adam is molded from the dust, and Eve is made from a rib in Adam's side. Thus, the Bible affirms that we coexist with each other and God between of states of blessedness. Reading the Bible is the greatest of all of my literary gains, accomplishments. Its spiritual teachings have opened doors that were closed for me and for many with me and many more before me! Amen.