Wednesday, December 20, 2017

OPERATOR

INFORMATION OPERATOR How joyful! How delightful! I spoke to two young ladies, whose diction was pure, articulation immaculate , whose sweet spirits were musical. It was refreshing to talk to them! It did remind me of an earlier time in Cook Hall, in my Freshman year at Howard, 1969-1970, when I had happened upon an information operator, while using the common hallway telephone. She also spoke beautifully , musically on the Hall phone; so much so, that before I knew what was going on, we had begun to "conversate"--brothers say--that is: i rapped to the sister. This led to that, which led to the other, and before too long that telephone operator and a female friend had made their way up to the 4th floor of the mighty Cook Hall. When they arrived and I laid my eyes upon them, I said to myself: "Sweet Jesus!" They looked like sin! I quickly passed them off to some brothers down the hallway, who were more willing than me to risk infamy, or worst, in being hospitable to visitors. They moved on. I closed the door. I asked no questions, and I heard no more! Just goes to show you that one dimension, however charming, is not determinative of the whole!