Tuesday, December 19, 2017

HELP COMES ALONG

HELP COMES ALONG IN MOTION You never know who can help you. My first job in Kansas City was a reference from a guy at Bar review class, whom I did not know, but, who apparently knew that I needed work. Newly arrived from D.C., I had left Howard U. Law School without a job, in 1976, yet confident that all would work out fine, be well, somehow, nevertheless, by God . Fortunately, my former roommate from Kansas City, who had been employed in KC as its first-black federal court law clerk, allowed me to live with him in his apartment. Both of our wives were still behind in D. C. Meanwhile, we were roomies again, in KC, for a couple of months, while we studied for the Bar exam and I tried to find work. So, yes ! New city. No house. No work. No wife! Such was life for me in 1976, from Memorial Day, until just before Labor Day, as I tried to study for that July's Missouri Bar. The job interview went well . I was hired as a Regional Attorney for the U.S. Department of Labor, in KC., working in the same office as the wonderful brother who had given me the job tip. Around that time, I had also found a cute little duplex on a tip from another brother at Bar review, who lived nearby the place. So. With a house and a job, I was ready to return to D. C. to get my wife, who had remained there, alone, working, packing, (and probably praying) for my/our success in my job search , house hunt, Bar exam. I did not pass the Bar in July, 1976, but settled and secure, I passed February 1977's. Labor Day weekend, my brother, Harold, drove our U-Haul truck cross-country trailing my wife and I in our car. By the grace of God, we made it! First to St. Louis, then to KC, where we had decided to live. Why KC? My best high school friends were living there, then; my first wife had attended college there and her friends were there; I wanted to be a Missouri lawyer and KC is westernmost Missouri, still. So, help comes from many places, when you begin your journey, begin moving along, especially from people either you do not know, or just barely know, by God's grace !