Thursday, November 15, 2018

ALMOST A NONPROFIT

I ALMOST BECAME A NONPROFIT During the latter period of my law practice , I was sorely tempted to convert it into a not-for-profit, public interest-type of law firm, given the character of my cases. I had been largely a lawyer of last resort, anyway ; which means that those with the money sought those with money, before seeking me, in the ordinary course of things, but there were exceptions! Praise God! It also means that the costs of my small plaintiffs' law practice had so steadily increased over my 23 years' of private solo practice that, literally, the earth had moved from beneath me. When one throws in the changes in the law, costs of litigation, and in the insurance companies' underwriting and settling dispositions, what had once been lucrative, then profitable then became unprofitably unwieldy drudgery, not exciting nor uplifting. But, before I could carry it out--my nonprofit law firm transformation--I stroked out, became permanently disabled, and was rescued by God from the practice of law, and into the realm of public comment and reflections, which, truth be known, I much prefer to the law practice !