Tuesday, December 6, 2016

IS CHRIST DIVIDED?

"…12What I mean is this: Individuals among you are saying, “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” 13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,…" 1 COR 1: These scriptures resonate with me as I ask myself, "Is time divided?" A special cogency is felt, further, when I reflect that "Apollos," who is mentioned above, and elsewhere in scripture, may be the ancient and almost mythical, African teacher "Ammonius Cecas. " He is who is said to have taught both Origen and Plotinus, who were contemporaries and friends. Origen is a very early Christian theologian, maybe the first. Plotinus is an ancient philosopher influenced by Plato and Aristotle, who wrote THE ENNEADS. Origen wrote ON FIRST PRINCIPLES, All three men were Africans. This brings me back to "Is Christ divided?" Or is time, by extension?