Sunday, November 13, 2016

PERSONAL LIFE AGE DISCRIMINATION

Yesterday, I read about a male slave who married a prosperous free black woman in St. Louis in the early 1830s, who was much older than he. This man, Jonathan Duncan, went on to win his emancipation in a freedom suit against his former owner and to help others do the same because of his prosperity and perspicacity in marrying a prosperous woman, who was 20 years his senior. My reading about this unusual coupling brought to mind the many older women and girls that I had passed up, while growing up. Based on my reading, I now say that love is where you find it. Do not be intimidated by artificial age distinctions nor deterred by them from enriching your life by loving older ones. The book I that I was reading is titled , REDEMPTION SONGS: SUING FOR FREEDOM BEFORE DRED SCOTT by Lea Vandervelde (2014).