Wednesday, November 30, 2016

ACKNOWLEDGE OTHERS' WORKS

ACKNOWLEDGE OTHERS' WORKS One's own stature or self-worth is not diminished by acknowledging others' work or their attributes, if anything, one's stature is enlarged ! My deceased friend, Guyana scholar, Ivan Van Sertima, an African studies professor at Rutgers University, iconic author of THEY CAME BEFORE COLUMBUS, who was later Founding Editor of "Journal of African Civilizations," has taught me many good things. Once, after our having left a Kansas City bookstore at which he had purchased several books, I noticed that he was opening the books from the back, first, mumbling under his breath; then setting it aside or literally throwing it away. When I asked him what he was doing and why, he replied: "My eyesight is poor. So, I cannot afford to read rubbish! I am scanning the authors' sources, index, bibliographies, their footnotes, first. Then I shall read those that are worthy of my time, given my weakening eyesight!" He began with the factual sources not the opinions or interpretations. No less an authority than the Bible makes reference to other books in certain places, as did Jesus, often saying "as written or said of old." Both Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein cited Euclid's Elements in their epochal works. Neither was diminished by having done so. Instead, because of their citations to Euclid, I began to read his 13 books myself! Supreme wisdom is demonstrated graphically therein; moreover this true book continually cites itself in succeeding chapters. Give credit where or when it is due. Grow wise, thereby. Do not be fearful, nor envious of citing the works of others, as authority. Be honest, thus, increasing in stature, respect, power, and love as those whom I have mentioned above .