Sunday, June 26, 2016

MY APOLOGY

MY APOLOGY I apologize to modern era black people for my many condemnations of their too-often fickle fidelity to the black race in their consumerist spending practices for needed goods and important services. I was wrong! These consumer practices did not begin in the modern era, post-Jim Crow, as I had wrongly assumed, and heard others, in business, say. Reading in the works of William Wells Brown, fellow Missourian, and internationally-traveled author, who was a self-taught, escaped slave, I note that he decried the same tendencies in the 1880s! So too did New York native, Dr. James McCune Smith, erudite, Scotland-educated physician, abolitionist, newspaper columnist, and polymath, who died in 1865, decry this, anti-self development disposition, prevalent back then! So, it is not new. Perhaps our people's subconscious acumen knew something, sensed something, about black economic patriotism that preserved us intact. Certainly those places where economic self-help was practiced most successfully did not survive the white terrorist mobs' bombs and arson in Wilmington, NC; in Tulsa, OK; and dozens of others, where racial consumer patriotism was most assiduously practiced! Again forgive my ignorance and my silly, unwarranted condemnations!