Thursday, February 7, 2019

SQUARING OFF WITH ALI!

SQUARING OFF WITH ALI! I once "squared off"--so to speak--with Muhammad Ali in August 1974. I was newly wed and was taking my still-blushing bride, my first wife, to the Office of Dr. James Edward Cheek, the late, great President of Howard University, in order for her to meet this extraordinary man. Mrs . Tucker, Dr. Cheek's executive secretary told us to have a seat, as he had another visitor. But, that he would surely be out shortly. Soon, thereafter, Dr. Cheek's door swung open. Who should exit? Not Dr. Cheek. Nobody but Muhammad Ali! We both gasped, me and my wife! Muhammad Ali, the Greatest, then the heavyweight champion of the world! I rose to shake his hand. He lightly grazed my hand, while he gazing past me to my lovely wife. Next thing I know, Ali had swooped on her like a hawk on a sparrow, all the while saying "You a pretty girl!" and kissed her on the cheek. She smiled all the while, having made no maneuvers to evade the kiss. It was all done tastefully and quickly . But that did not satisfy me! I threw up my dukes, in a pantomime of the boxers' crouch. Ali threw up his dukes. Looking over at this expert pugilistic wonder of a man, I did what any reasonable, second year, Howard Law School brother would have done--I broke into the Ali shuffle while quickly backpedaling away. Ali made a bounce or two and dismissively waived me away! "Boy! gone somewhere!" he may have said. Meanwhile , the thrilled throng of observers were laughing at our antics and enjoying our great champion's display of humility.