Monday, February 25, 2019

CALIFORNIA FLEEING

"In the midst of this gathering ferment , news reached us from Mazatlan of the declaration of war between the United States and Mexico, and I deemed it fully time to leave . Colonel Fremont was at that juncture approaching from Oregon with a force, if combined with Americans resident there, sufficient to conquer the whole country, and I would have liked exceedingly to join his forces , but to have proceeded toward him would have subjected me to mistrust , and consequent capture and imprisonment . If I looked south, the same difficulties menaced me, and the west conducted me to the Pacific Ocean . "I had but little time to deliberate . My people was at war with the country I was living in; I had become security for the authorities for the good behavior of several of my fellow countrymen , and I was under recognizances for my own conduct. The least misadventure would compromise me, and I was impatient to get away. My only retreat was eastward; so, considering all things fair in times of war, I , together with five trusty Americans, collected eighteen hundred stray horses we found we found roaming on the Californian ranchos, and started with our utmost speed from Pueblo de Angeles. This was a fair capture and our morals justified it, for it was wartime. We knew we should be pursued, and we lost no time making toward home . We kept our herd jogging for five days and nights , only resting once a day to eat , and afford the animals time to crop a mouthful of grass. We killed a fat colt occasionally which supplied us with meat , and very delicious meat too--rather costly, but the cheapest and the handiest we could obtain. After five days chase our pursuers relaxed their speed, and we ourselves drove more leisurely. We again found the advantage I have often spoken of before of having a drove of horses before us, for, as the animals we bestrode gave out, we could shift to a fresh one, while our pursuers were confined to one steed. "When we arrived at my fort on the Arkansas, we had over a thousand head of horses, all in good condition. There was a general rejoicing among the little community at my safe arrival, the Indians also coming to bid me welcome. I found my wife married again, having been deceived by a false communication. Her present husband has brought her a missive, purporting to be of my inditing, wherein I expressed indifference toward her person, disinclination to return home, and tendering her a discharge of all connubial obligation. She accepted the document as authentic, and solaced her abandonment by espousing her husband's messenger. My return acquainted her with the truth of the matter. She manifested extreme regret at having suffered herself to be imposed upon so readily , and, as a remedy for the evil, offered herself back again ; but I declined, preferring once more to enjoy the sweets of single blessedness ." P. 474-475, THE LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF JAMES P. BECKWOURTH (1856, 1981)