Wednesday, October 24, 2018

PRIDE OF FAMILY

This afternoon , October 23, 2018, I finished reading PRIDE OF FAMILY : FOUR GENERATIONS OF AMERICAN WOMEN OF COLOR by Carole Ione (2001). It is a swimmingly great book, sweeping through history , autobiography, poetry, and multiple female diaries, as smoothly as a hot knife flows through butter. Carole Ione is a gifted writer, as the following passage reflects: "Spirits are the feelings that survive us, and for a long time the spirits of all the women in my family past and present came to reside with me in my Saratoga room, not happily. I felt only their loss there. As the only daughter of an only daughter of an only daughter , I have all my life felt the pure lineage of my mother 's childhood sorrow as my own. I was never able to separate it from myself and could do nothing to assuage it." P.212