Friday, October 12, 2018

JOHN MILTON

"But say I could repent, and could obtain, by act of grace , my former state; how soon could highth recall high thoughts, how soon unsay what feigned submission swore ? Ease would recant vows made in pain, as violent and void. For never can true reconcilement grow, where wounds of deadly hate have pierced so deep : which would but lead me to a worse relapse and heavier fall: so should I purchase dear short intermission bought with double smart. This knows my Punisher; therefore as far from granting he, as I from begging , peace; all hope excluded thus, behold, instead of us outcast, his new delight, mankind created , and for him, the world. So farewell , hope; and with hope , farewell, fear; Farewell remorse! All good to me is lost; evil, be thou my good; by thee at least divided kingdom by Heaven 's King, I hold by thee , and more perhaps than half will reign ; as man ere long and this new world shall know." P. 36, PARADISE LOST by John Milton (1667, 2015)