Wednesday, August 22, 2018

SEANCE IN ZIMBABWE

MY SEANCE IN ZIMBABWE 🇿🇼? In Victoria Falls (MOSI O TUNYA). Zimbabwe , in 1983, three local brothers , one of whom was a banker, shepherded me into the hut of a tribal vizier, or spiritual man, "hoodoo man"--in African American parlance--to have my fortune told. The priest mumbled some unknown words, shook some bones together, and threw them onto the ground. He spoke some more. Shook again. Threw again . Looked up at me. And said something to my hosts. In English, they told me things that have subsequently become true, about my life, that he had learned. I have never forgotten about that session, that seance, with their medicine man, and my three friends, in Zimbabwe in Victoria Falls nee Mosi O Tunya (smoke that thunders): nor of its efficacy or accuracy. A couple years later , one of my Zimbabwean friends called me in Kansas City, Missouri, from Dallas, Texas , where he had surprisingly emigrated and married. I had named him "cool man, " at his request, in Zimbabwe. Naming friends must be a revered, honored tradition among them. As per requests, I had nicknamed all three.