Friday, May 19, 2017

MUST BE ONESELF REGARDLESS

MUST BE ONESELF REGARDLESS We are who we are and what we are, regardless. In spite of advice, warnings, testimony by others , we must be who we are. We must do as we understand to do regardless. In 1986, at my first National Bar Association convention in Denver, Colorado, my curiosity engaged a number of attorneys in a question that was most dear to my future law practice as a sole practitioner: "How do you charge and how much can you charge a particular client to be able to sustain your business and your interest, without running them away to other competitors?" The NBA convention handbook did not deal with this seminal subject, though, I had thought that it might; a major reason for my attendance. Undaunted, with typical aplomb, I approached a group of lawyers who were socializing gregariously in the lobby with my basic inquiry. To my utter and complete surprise it touched off a gaggle of debate among the seasoned professionals. It seemed that there was no best or one way to charge for our services. But the question was a good one, affecting as it did everyone in the myriad practice configurations. The entire hotel lobby was momentarily overwhelmed by my inquiry about charging. The sheer breadth of the question was daunting, given the variety of factors to be considered! Who but an inexperienced wag (youngster) would dare to ask it? Yet, its sheer breadth has brought forth a ferment of good ideas, great testimony, smart methods, and warnings aplenty, I was happy. These lawyers were helpful to me! How-to practice law books by such authors, as Jay Foonberg or Singer, about: "How to go into private practice without missing a meal," etc., do not begin to contemplate the true nature black solo practitioner experience in Kansas City, Missouri, nor could they. Neither could they be me nor do me; therefore, neither could they really advise me: though, I had read them both to prepare myself. In truth and fairness to the authors, or to anyone else, neither could help me. Nor could anyone else truly advise me. "I must walk this lonesome valley for myself." I must see life through my own frame of reference, following my own vision. I must be me and do me, as you must be and do you, regardless !