Friday, August 26, 2016

FEELING "ON FIRST PRINCIPLES" BY ORIGEN

Faith and contemplation are both rooted in human feelings. I say this despite having read and, indeed, because I have read, third century theologian, Origen 's, disclaimer in ON FIRST PRINCIPLES (2003): "Now that these points have been discussed, it is time to resume our inquiry into the incarnation of our Lord and Savior, how he became a man and dwelt among men. We have considered to the best of our small ability, the divine nature, from a contemplation of his own works rather than from our feelings, and while beholding his visible creatures, we have also by faith contemplated those which are invisible . For human frailty can neither see everything with the eyes nor comprehend everything by reason, since we men are beings weaker and frailer than all other rational creatures, those that dwell in heaven or above the heavens surpassing us in excellence." P. 135, "The Incarnation of Christ " Not that I would quarrel nor quibble with the African theologian, Origen, whose works, influence, and legacy have lasted 2,000 years, shaping, filling, our present Christian Faith, I would join, here, with Apostle Paul: "That I may apprehend that for which I am already apprehended by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12. http://biblehub.com/philippians/3-12.htm "Apprehension" being 'feelings' by any means, meter, or metric, I rest.