Monday, May 30, 2016

MY MEMORIAL DAY KC ANNIVERSARY

My Memorial Day KC Anniversary Forty years ago during Memorial Day Weekend, in May 1976, I moved from Washington, District of Columbia, to Kansas City, Missouri, to live. I had no job here. I had no home here. I had no wife here. But, it was in Missouri, my home state; and I had very good friends here. So, I decided, to stay here, even after my friends were all gone, even after a divorce! I said: Let the music play on! Let the party roll on in KC. I had reached admirable goals in Washington, D.C., having achieved some small degree of celebrity at Howard University, where I had just finished law school and had earlier been the HILLTOP Editor in Chief. But a series of misadventures had forced me to look away, look away, look away, to Missouri's homeland. I do not regret my move back home to Missouri. My children were born here. I published my newsletter THE NILE REVIEW here. I taught black history here at UMKC'S Communiversity program, while sponsoring events. I practiced law here, for over 30 years, only ended by a stroke. I confessed The Savior, Jesus Christ here; pastored several churches within 60 miles of here, and I achieved a minor celebrity here, too, while living a good life. I have had two wives here, both of whom have enriched my life, one for 10 years, the next for 30 years . As I remember other soldiers on this Memorial Day, I thought it also reasonable to remember myself, on this my arrival day in the barbecue, jazz, now baseball, capital of USA!