Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I AM STILL HERE AND YOU TOO!

I AM STILL HERE AND YOU TOO! Today, I became curious about a friend of mine, and was surprised to learn that he had died in 2008! Out of sight is out of mind. He and two other lawyers and me, had once explored the possibility of forming a law firm together, back in the early 1980s. Eventually, three of us did launch out into the deep on our own, as solo practitioners. One stayed with the federal sector. Now all three of my prospective law partners that were just mentioned, above, are deceased. I'm barely still here by the grace of God, after having had a stroke in 2010, and after having experienced a variety of near-fatal issues before then! Just goes to show that the practice of law is definitely hazardous to our health, both brothers' and sisters', the latter having left here in Kansas City, Missouri, seemingly too soon, as well and way too young! Stress! Being "inactive" but still licensed, I have no idea who is alive or dead in our legal community, as that old life is now gone. I have moved on! The practice of law was a bugbear ! A beast. I am glad that I am  gone, am free to read, write, pontificate at leisure! These thoughts may have recurred to me, after viewing a video on Facebook of President Obama describing the futility of his plaintiffs ' civil rights practice back in Chicago in the employment discrimination field, which was mine as well, disproportionately. None of my former prospective legal partners did civil rights law, very few people do, of any race, given its expense & innate biases! Frankly, it can be any kind of law. It is all intense, favoring the defense, the civil defense. In criminal law, the process reverses itself, and pointedly favors the prosecution. A perceptive person may see a trend. Whatever may have prompted today's search for my long-dead friend, including my recrudescent reflections on my prior profession, I rejoice that I am still here to reflect! And I also rejoice that you are still here to read ! Praise God for life!