Thursday, February 4, 2016

TO ELECT A BLACK PRESIDENT

I remember attending the National Black Political Convention in Gary, Indiana, in 1972, as a senior in college at Howard University, when I was also the Editor-in-Chief of THE HILLTOP, our weekly student newspaper. Accompanying me on the trip was one of our brilliant photographers, Larry Holland, who is now working in the film industry. Watching our leaders and their delegations up close, I recall being distressed by their egos and by the persnickety sniping that paralyzed the process of political marshaling. I particularly recall the Michigan delegation 's walking out, led by Coleman Young, and Roy Innis' revolting harangues. Of course, Jesse Jackson's dramatic onstage spinning histrionics at the end of his sermonette brought down the house. Nothing substantive occurred, as many had predicted , largely because politics is about money, which we had too little of! At any event, Larry and I stayed at the home of my great aunt, Mattie Nash, and Uncle Paul Nash, as he chauffeured me about in a bright yellow Deuce and a Quarter! So, we had fun eating, witnessing, visiting. These thoughts come to mind as I read Hubert Henry Harrison 's WHEN AFRICA AWAKES (1920), where he speculates on what it may take to elect a black President. He would be pleased to know that less than a century later, we have twice elected a black President, and that it did not take a separate political party to pull off that feat!