Tuesday, February 10, 2015

CALLING THE POLICE ON THE POLICE

Calling the Police on the Police In the early days of my law practice, I represented a young black couple in connection with a municipal court warrant that was being badly served. Many of the particulars from 1986 are now vague. What I do recall is that the young pregnant woman "called the police on the police," when those with a warrant for her spouse began to abuse him, to handle him roughly. We satisfactorily disposed of this minor matter--minor to me anyway--at the jury trial of a municipal appeal, to the great consternation of the city prosecutor and to the police involved. But, I have never forgotten the quick thinking of that young mother-to-be in that city-owned housing project, who lacking much formal education , had the requisite common sense and intelligence to call the police on the police! Her phrase led to her victory; her follow-through to family felicity.