Sunday, January 8, 2017

"SCIENCE AND EMPIRE" IN DUBOIS' "DUSK OF DAWN"

To its peril does science ignore art, literature, philosophy, music in its noble pursuit of the essential origin of all natural law, since all of these also comprise important aspects of natural law's evolving complement . This thought was inspired by my reading of "Science and Empire," in DUSK OF DAWN (1940) by W. E. B. DuBois, wherein he writes: "Herbert Spencer finished his ten volumes of 'Synthetic Philosophy' in 1896. The biological analogy, the vast generalizations were striking, but actual scientific accomplishment lagged. For me an opportunity seemed to present itself.... I determined to pursue science into sociology through a study of the condition and problems of my own group. "I was going to study the facts, and all facts, concerning the American Negro and his plight, and by measurement and comparison and research , work up to any valid generalization which I could. I entered this primarily with the utilitarian object of reform and uplift; but nevertheless, I wanted to do the work with scientific accuracy. Thus, in my own sociology, because of firm belief in a changing racial group, I easily grasped the idea of a changing developing society rather than a fixed social structure." P.590-591, DUBOIS : WRITINGS (1986) The point here is that all of natural laws' infinite aspects whether from science, art, philosophy, literature music, are inseparable from one another each one flowing affluently into the other in synchronous unity. So, to be sure, as noted above by Dr. W. E. B. DuBois, there is ever "evolving," or, one might say, ever evolving a conception of a divine cosmological ecology subsuming science and sociology subtending and extending, all that exists. Yet, none is discrete from any other.