Thursday, January 5, 2017

AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A FUGITIVE NEGRO

"I grew up in New York as do the children of poor parents in large cities too frequently. I was placed at a public school in Mulberry Street, taught by Mr. C. C. Andrew, and subsequently by Mr. Adams, a Quaker gentleman, from both of whom I received great kindness. Dr. A. Libolt, my last preceptor in that school, placed me under lasting obligations. Poverty compelled me to work, but inclination led me to study; hence I was enabled, in spite of poverty, to make some progress in necessary learning. Added to poverty , however, in the case of a black lad in the city , is the ever-present, ever-crushing Negro hate, which hedges up his path, discourages his efforts, damps his ardor , blasts his hopes, and embitters his spirits. "Some white people wonder at and condemn the tone in which some of us blacks speak of our oppressors. Such persons talk as if they knew but little of human nature, and less of Negro character, else they would wonder rather that , what with slavery and Negro-hate, the mass of us are not either depressed to idiocy or excited into demons. What class of whites, except the Quakers, ever spoke of their oppressors or wrongdoers as mildly as we do? This peculiarly American spirit (which Englishmen easily enough imbibe, after they have resided a few days in the United States) was ever at my elbow. As a servant, it denied me a seat at the table with my fellow servants; in the sports of childhood and youth, it was ever disparagingly reminding me of my color and origin; along the streets it ever pursued, ever ridiculed, ever abused me. If I sought redress, the very complexion I wore was pointed out as the best reason for my seeking it in vain... "However , at the age of sixteen I found a friend in George Atkinson Ward, Esq., from whom I received encouragement to persevere, in spite of Negro-hate. In 1833, I became a clerk of Thomas L. Jennings, Esq., one of the most worthy of the colored race; subsequently my brother and I served David Ruggles, Esq., then of New York, late of Northampton , Massachusetts, now no more." P.21-22, "Struggles Against the Prejudice of Color," AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF A FUGITIVE NEGRO by Samuel Ringgold Ward (1855, 1970)