Monday, January 2, 2017

MY BALANCING ACT AND YOURS

MY BALANCING ACT AND YOURS I have recently been blessed to write about "averages " and to quote from Plotinus' book, THE ENNEADS about "the mean." The mean is the equidistant point or place between extremes, except when it is not or when they are not. Values, especially virtues, are the presence, are the embodiment, of means. Means balance momentum. Momentum is a product of means. There is, therefore, a relationship between balance and momentum, as each are byproducts of means. These engrossing thoughts have occurred to me today, as I reflect upon a question that was recently asked of me online about why I had never sought political office ? The question was fair and well-intended. Other such questions have been visited upon me in the past, by others, like why have you not sought to become a judge, asked of me by an active state court judge? The answer is still the same in both instances for me. As I wrote years ago, "I have chosen to be free. The black community needs a free arm to swing with and a free leg to kick with; that would be me." There are enough others to supply the other deficiencies in politics and in law. More broadly, my view is that in our experience of earthly dependence and interdependence, no one can do it all nor have it all, but must rely on the support of a vast network of other people, who stretch all of the way back to the origin of our sense of time , space, matter, energy, and God. God is the mean, our means to management of mankind's most sublime, or most pressing matters. For in our creation abide the mean and the means between extremes which supply power and direction, but are ever needful of balancing. In the ballast of balance lies room for all of any genre, caliber, or kind.