Sunday, January 22, 2017

GERMANY AND DONALD TRUMP

Germans, generally, are mostly known as the progenitors of Adolph Hitler of WWII infamy, and as being somehow implicated in WW I history. They were African imperialists in Namibia, in Tanganyika, Malawi. They were the "Hessians," or British mercenaries in the American Revolution. They were immigrants to America after their own 1849 revolution; once here many sided with the Union in our own Civil War. Their nationalist meme is that of martial, martinet, rigid, yet flummoxed.Their schools were world-renown in the 19th century for the rigor, including the likes of Albert Einstein, Goethe.. As I meditate on Germany and Germans, broadly, I do so without regard to those few who are/were known to me, who were convivial. I meditate on "Deutschland" to attempt to assimilate Donald Trump, a descendant of a German immigrant to the United States in the 1870s who is as alien to me as a man from Mars, yet is my President, too.