Sunday, January 15, 2017

MARK TWAIN, MONO LAKE AND ME

MONO LAKE, MARK TWAIN & ME "Thirst augments fast as soon as it is apparent that one has no means at hand of quenching it." Fish do too!-- I might add! As I read the harrowing adventures of Mark Twain and his friend, Higbee, in salty lake, "Mono Lake, sometimes called the 'Dead Sea of California,'" in their row boat, as a storm approached, while they were fifteen miles from shore, my mind rolled back to Longview Lake, and my own, over twenty years ago. I had rented a motor boat at the dock, had bought some bait, and set out alone across that big lake in Jackson County, Missouri, to better explore my fishing prospects in its remote inlets. The sun was shining brightly, when I left. The wind was fair, lake calm. Fishing however was abysmal. I had not caught anything. Worse, I had lost quite a few minnows and worms to unknown aquatic pilferers below, whom I had "fed" freely. The hours passed by. Clouds rolled in. Winds gusted. Rain threatened. A few drops fell. Just then, when I was thinking about getting back to the dock, I got a bite on my reel! While I was tugging that one in, I got a bite on the other reel. Two reels working at one time! Rags to riches ! Rain was now pelting, drenching me ! Overwhelmed, I laid one down to concentrate on the other reel! Then something big pulled that laden reel violently out of the now-bewildered motor boat! Something also said "Better get your behind outta here, while you still can!" I cut my line! See you fish! Started the engine. Vrr! Vrr! Heading back across the main leg of the lake, the prow of the boat lifted up into the air. "Lord! Don't let me capsize," I prayed . Eventually, it leveled out, as I reduced speed on the throttle in that choppy water . When I saw the wooden dock in the distance, I rejoiced! Hope was at hand. It is evident that I survived this experience. Mark Twain stirs up my best, fondest recollections ! P. 722, 727, ROUGHING IT by Mark Twain (1984)