Tuesday, January 14, 2020

HOME

HOME  Mine is a very curious relationship with my hometown, Kansas City, Missouri. I have lived in it, but not of it, since 1976. I am from it, but yet foreign to-it. Here I have lived with both of my wives, reared and raised three children; bought, sold, invested in real estate ; worked for others and worked for myself. Plus picnicked, barbecued , played tennis , chess, and I also have partied hearty ! Here, too, within the historic environs of these two “Border War” states, Missouri/Kansas, land of John Brown, Senator James Lane, Butler, Missouri, Lawrence and Topeka, Kansas; particularly in both Kansas Cities, I have : worshipped, preached, pastored, organized, taught, produced, paid taxes, shopped, promoted events, and have also practiced law. Perhaps in this our land of manifest destiny , of expanding borders, my tale of mobility, of moving over my lifetime from Mississippi at 4, from St. Louis at 18, from Washington DC at 25, perhaps it is one like you too may have sojourned in a migration. Ours is a mighty big, vast, varied, rich, and beautiful country; one that is full of sights, sounds, furies. It is one you must visit, at least , if not live very long anyplace. It is home.