Wednesday, October 26, 2016

"IT IS ALWAYS SAFE TO DO RIGHT"

"IT IS ALWAYS SAFE TO DO RIGHT" "I was pained to hear of the capture of these fugitives, and inquired of some of the Friends of the village why they did not take them in and secrete them, when they were pursued , and then aid them in their way to Canada? I found out they were afraid of the penalty of the law. I told them that I read in the Bible as a boy that it was right to take in the stranger and administer to those in distress , and that I thought it was always safe to do right . The Bible, in bidding us to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, said nothing about color, and I should try to follow the teachings of the good book. I was willing to receive and aid as many fugitives as were disposed to come to my house. I knew that my wife's feelings and sympathies regarding this matter were the same as mine, and that she was willing to do her part. It soon became known to the colored people in our neighborhood and others, that our house was a depot where the hunted and harassed fugitive journeying northward on the Underground Railroad, could find succor and sympathy. It also became known at the other depots on the various lines that converged at Newport [Indiana]." P.72, REMINISCENCES OF LEVI COFFIN (2006) abridged and edited by Ben Richmond .