Saturday, August 22, 2015

A BITTER PILL I KNOW

A BITTER PILL I KNOW Being black, alone, resolves nothing, solves nothing, does nothing. More is required. Motion is required . Effort and energy are required . Collaboration is required. Some folks like to exult that so and so was black. So? What did they do? That is the question. I like anyone, perhaps more than most, am interested in the history and achievements of my people. To that end, I am blessed to be able to study it, incessantly, and to be able to share some scraps of it with others that may not be so blessed nor inclined to do either: study it or share its scraps. Consequently, "woe is me, if I preach not the gospel" of black history, to paraphrase the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:16. http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/9-16.htm Reactions based on color are reactions to fascism based on color in the "New World," as the Americas and Caribbean are known. "Blackness" or "Negritude" are inherently reactionary color-cultural templates to white supremacy, the basis of racism and Nazism. None of them, alone, do anything. Effort, energy, ineffable essences make the difference. This is a bitter pill, I know. It is easier to curse the darkness than to light a candle. But. The candle must be lit, and relit, again and again; and passed one to another, if we are ever to be free of the caul of ignorance that enshrouds our efforts and frustrates our motion.