Wednesday, October 1, 2014

ROYALS WIN!

Royals' win is sweetened by sleep! I was asleep when the Royals beat Oakland on September 30, 2014, to win the privilege of advancing in the Major League Baseball playoffs. I had gone to sleep, in that extra inning game, soon after Oakland had scored 1-run to go ahead, 8-7, in the 12th inning, the K. C. Royals having already squandered multiple scoring opportunities to win. I was in agony! "Oh no!" I sighed. This is too much stress for this brother; so I laid back in bed, turned off the lights, reposed! It was the 12th inning. "Good night, Royals!" So, as I had also done with the 2012 Presidential election, when the early returns showed President Obama trailing Romney, I dozed off! Then, my cellphone rang. I smiled, sensing, by its ring, that something miraculous had happened. Doubtless, it's one of my brothers' felicitations! Fireworks exploding in the distance from the direction of Kauffman Stadium, affirmed this glowing sense. Finally, my wife, bless her heart, whose interest in and knowledge of sports (except women's tennis) is at best superficial, entered the room beaming, and turned on the television. Newscasters' and Royals' fans' celebratory euphoria confirmed that the miraculous 9-8 win and comeback, that I had only sensed, had occurred. Royals had truly won! After acknowledging my friends' well-wishes and commendatory comments on Facebook, I pulled up the covers, contentedly, and returned to sleep, such sweet sleep.