Friday, July 15, 2016

NICE FRANCE, NEGRITUDE & USA

NICE FRANCE, NEGRITUDE, & USA The Nice, France, truck pogrom on their national holiday--"Bastille Day"--resonated with me on several levels. Apart from the over 89 deaths and as many injuries following that famously rich, renown French Riviera locality's fireworks display, the event rived my pedagogical past & political present. I had learned of the launching the July, 14, 1789, "French Revolution," with the storming of the dreaded Bastille prison of "America's oldest ally," to quote President Obama,in my 7th grade, Steger Junior High School French class, where Mrs. Ferry was our memorable, 1st-hour, teacher in the 1963-1964, academic year. In later years, I had also learned how French Dominique , France's rich black colony on its half of Hispaniola, had itself been inspired by France's cries of "liberte ' egalite ' fraternite ' " to seek its own freedom from slavery.