Friday, July 10, 2015

BILL COSBY: GRATUITY, FORTUITY & ME

BILL COSBY: gratuity/fortuity & me Bill Cosby, iconic actor, author, comedian, art collector, producer, philanthropist, and social critic, had fortuitously paid my tuition at Howard University for 2 years. This had resulted from a tuition scholarship that he had funded from concert proceeds for African American studies majors with a minimum 3.00 grade point average. Having no then-declared major as a Freshman, who was sorely in need of the money, I was advised about its availability by the blessed financial aid officers who knew of my love for African American studies. The Bill Cosby scholarship, thus, fit me perfectly. I have never met the man. Nor ever spoken to him. But, ardently, I have attempted to do so, in the past, in order to thank him. Each hopeful attempt was brushed aside, brusquely, by his agents, however, including one during his KC visit several years ago. Finally, I gave up trying to thank him, not wanting to be deemed a pest. So, rather than seeking to communicate my gratitude to him for his largesse, I turned to his defense. I deemed myself to be protecting him from those who assailed him as elitist, following his ruthless attacks on the "lower income blacks who were not holding up their end of the bargain," by speech, conduct, or effort. Some of his deprecating of comments were true. I forgave the more dubious ones, and sallied forth to defend him, gratuitously, in recompense. Besides, I had attended a lecture here in KC at which Cosby's art curator, Dr. David Driskell, described Bill and Camille Cosby's extensive black art collection and future acquisitions then contemplated. This reinforced my resolve to defend this wonderful man, whose privacy was so much coveted, at least as it pertained to me! Thereafter, the "Bill Cosby is a rapist" allegations by a lesser known black male comedian broke! And female after female came forth. I dismissed these claims as barred by laches, and as "gold-digging" attempts by old, washed-up white women--which carried its own negative historical racial implications for black men. Besides, as some allegations extended back to the '70s and '80s, and had never been prosecuted, even by white prosecutors, who had the direct evidence, they lacked credibility! Now, some judge has released portions of a sealed deposition wherein Cosby admits giving a drug "quaalude" subversively for sex to certain women, allegedly. That disclosure stripped away even my defense of Bill Cosby imperative! The comic-relief and irony of it all, though, was much more conclusively brought forth when Tacoma's former NAACP President, the infamous Rachel Dolezal, the black women wannabe, (Rachel "what's her race") joined the picnic on FB claiming that Cosby had "raped her too!" Whether true or false, authentic or apocryphal, I gave up the ghost on Bill Cosby's defense! Now I say, "Cos! You're own your own buddy! Sorry, I can't help you no more!" Blessed is the man whose sins are forgiven, says the Word, whose transgressions are covered! http://biblehub.com/romans/4-7.htm And pity the fool whose sin is exposed; whose humor is stale!