Monday, June 8, 2015

TRIBUTE TO BLACK WAITERS

TRIBUTE TO BLACK WAITERS Black waiters at the Missouri Governor's Mansion in Jefferson City, Missouri, were super impressive, when Mrs. Coleman and I dined there, marveling at their silent, smooth, synchronized service of our delicious, multi-course meal, with their formal, white-gloved entrances and exits. I could do no less that utter--indeed, involuntarily ejaculate-- my unabashed admiration for such expert professional attention as this orchestration! I have never attended a State Dinner at the White House, but I cannot imagine that any band of banquet waiters could have performed their duties with any more military precision than these black men in my home state. We had attended a dinner of the Supreme Court Historical Society when we witnessed this feat at our fete, perhaps ten years ago. Having often styled myself "the greatest bus boy that ever lived," based on my restaurant expertise acquired from fine, exclusive restaurants and country clubs in the St. Louis area as a teenager, in the late 1960's, I know whereof I speak. I have seen the best black waiters there were at the time, when it was an honor to serve food. and lucrative as well! Alas, black waiters and bus boys appear to be a dying breed . But, before they go, to be replaced by whomever, I send out this very big "shout - out" to the black brethren of the food service craft!